BASSETERRE, St.Kitts (Friday 5th March 2021) – The “quickest way for us to get back to normal” has being listed by Medical Chief of Staff at the Joseph N. France General Hospital Dr. Cameron Wilkinson among “ten good reasons” given as to why individuals in St.Kitts and Nevis should get vaccinated as part of the roll out plan using the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
“Today somebody asked me to give them one reason why they should vaccinate. I’m going to use my time here today to give you 10 reasons why you should vaccinate,” he commented during his presentation at the weekly National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) COVID-19 Briefing held on Wednesday 3rd March 2021.
The reasons as given by Dr. Wilkinson are as follows:
1. It is free. Yes the COVID-19 vaccine is free. There are no financial barriers to you getting the vaccination. Yes, it comes at a cost but not to you. You show up and you get it.
2. It is highly effective. The vaccine is way more effective than the flu vaccine that a number of persons take each year that averages between 40 and 50 per cent. This vaccine has an efficacy of over 82 per cent and when you get vaccinated it protects you from getting seriously ill so it’s the joy of gaining immunity without the risk of getting really ill or even from getting what is called long haul COVID so it’s a win-win.
3. It saves lives. More than 7000 persons are dead in the Caribbean region….over 500, 000 are dead in the United States and more than 2.5 million people are dead worldwide from COVID-19. Getting vaccination is a sure part to your survival.
4. It is safe. It does not affect your cell’s DNA. It does not give you COVID-19. It actually helps to boost your immune system so that you can fight the disease. Safety studies were done with vaccines in tens of thousands of persons before it came onto the market and many millions have received this vaccine worldwide and so the 55,000 persons that we have here there are millions who went before you and they have had very little side effect from this vaccination.
5. You protect those around you and the vulnerable. Being vaccinated helps to prevent you from getting COVID-19 so that you are less likely to spread the disease to others especially the vulnerable .so if you have children, grandchildren, grandparents or elderly persons around you then that’s a good reason for you to get vaccinated because you would not be only protecting yourself but protecting them.
6. You help to protect our health system. By ending this pandemic through vaccination, we release the pressure on the health system so we can dedicate our efforts, funds and equipment to helping persons with non-communicable diseases, and these are still killing persons and we need to keep a close focus on those other diseases.
7. It keeps your cash flow strong. As stated, it can stop you from getting sick. If you are not sick you can continue working and continue to bring needed income for your family.
8. It helps to protect future generations. Over the course of history, human beings have had to co-exist with debilitating and life-threatening diseases that are now rare due to child vaccination programmes. Immunizing yourself against COVID-19 today will help to eradicate the virus and protect future generations thereby allowing them to have a healthier and longer life.
9. It helps to prevent fake news spreading. Research has shown that fake news spreads much faster and further than truthful information. Over the last few decades, conspiracy theories and misinformation have eroded public trust in vaccines leading to the re-emergence of diseases that were eradicated before. Bu following evidence-based guidance based on science, you are not only protecting yourself and your loved ones from COVID-19 but you’re sending a strong message to those persons who are coming with fake news and I’m happy that within just eight days of us having this roll-out, we had over 2000 persons who’ve stepped forward to take the vaccinations so that’s a step closer towards herd immunity.
10. Finally, it is the quickest way for us to get back to normal. No more masks, no more social distancing, safe travel, no quarantine, no more endless ZOOM meetings, hugs with friends and family and grandma, parties, no caps of gatherings, wedding and church services return to normal, concerts, music festivals, sporting events, of course once we eradicate the virus and so these are ten good reasons why you need to go and vaccinate so don’t hesitate, vaccinate.