By: Spokesman Newsroom

BASSETERRE, St.Kitts– Retired cricket celebrity 64-year-old Elquemedo Willet, a former athlete of the West Indies Cricket Team, who hails from the sister isle of Nevis, is said to be recovering overseas in the US having undergone neck surgery after falling from one of the stands while at the Charlestown Secondary School sports meet held on the afternoon of Tuesday 20th February.

The incident reportedly took place at a recreational grounds area renamed in his honour in August 2010- The Elquemedo T. Willet Park (formerly Grove Park) which is located in the island’s capital Charlestown.

Well-known Nevisian social media blogger Everton ‘Obi’ Powell- who currently resides in the US- has been keeping his followers and others concerned informed about Willett’s well-being through credible contact with Willet’s friend Ivor W. A. Henry.

“Sad News! I just learn that Nevis first and still Nevis biggest hero Elquemedo Willet had a bad accident. He fell off one of those stands while judging races at the Charlestown Secondary School Sports this afternoon. He is currently in the hospital. It seems like he badly damage his neck. Im told he might be taken to St Kitts or overseas to do an MRI and other tests and to get treatment,” commented Powell in a Facebook post shortly after the incident.

A photo displayed on Henry’s Facebook page on Monday 26th February showed him and Willett wearing a neck brace in a vehicle with the caption: “The great man Elquomedo Willet is out of Jackson Memorial Hospital. We are on the move. Prayers still needed.”

That photo too was shared on Powell’s page.

Information gleaned from highlights that “Nevis-born slow left-armer Elquemedo Willett was the first man from the Leeward Islands to play for West Indies when he made his debut as a 19-year-old against Australia in 1972-73.”

Furthermore, “He took two wickets, and five in the next two Tests – including his best of 3 for 33 at Port-of-Spain. In was enough to ensure he toured England in 1973, where he took 30 wickets but was unable to break into the Test side. He then toured India and Pakistan in 1974-75, taking two wickets in each of his Tests. But in an era when selectorial consistency was not to the fore, another chance never came, and with the advent of West Indies all-pace attack, he faded into the shadows, although he carried on playing for another 14 seasons. While his impact on the field was limited, his inclusion in the West Indies side had a massive impact on cricket in the Caribbean’s smaller islands, where players had hitherto felt ignored.”

This media house understands that the Nevis Island Administration is being criticised for not assisting Willett.

“A government for all its people and not some of the people is badly needed in St Kitts and Nevis. Need I say more? Enough said,” was a caption posted by Henry on Tuesday this week (27th February) displaying four photographs which featured Willett after being released from the hospital.

One of those images spotlighted by Powell has the following caption: “Pic of the Day – Great to see a smiling Willet with his wife and Ivor. Thanks to the great work of the doctor and hospital staff and all who helped in the process.”