Police Photo: Wilford Grey

By: Spokesman Newsroom

BASSETERRE, St.Kitts– The non-national who tried to flee the country last month recently learnt his fate after appearing before a magistrate to answer to charges including falsely cashing a cheque written by a well-known local businessman, Lennox Warner.

Wilford Grey, a national of Jamaica who resides at Buckley’s Estate, pleaded guilty to False Pretence and Endangering Persons at the Robert L. Bradshaw (RLB) International Airport, police said in a press release on Friday 3rd November.

Reportedly, he was sentenced to twelve (12) months suspended sentence and three (3) months in prison for Endangering Persons.

He was also ordered to compensate Lennox Warner of Lennox Warner and Partner the sum of $5,500 forthwith.

Police say the charges stemmed from an incident in which Grey received credit by false pretence and that circumstances are that Grey was inadvertently given a cheque valued at $5,500 on October 13, 2017 which was written in the name of another employee of Warner.

Further details shared by the authorities revealed that Grey was approached by one of the employees of Warner who questioned him about the cheque and asked him to come in on October 16, 2017 to rectify it.

Reportedly, he did not show up for work on that day.  As a result, after making an enquiry, Warner’s office was able to find out that the cheque had been cashed by Grey.

Warner reported the matter to the police and also stated that he had not seen, nor heard, from Grey.

A search for the alleged offender was conducted but he was not found.

According to police, in an attempt to leave the country, Grey turned up at the R.L.B. International Airport where he was confronted by the police.

Reportedly, he made an effort to run but was pursued and apprehended. He was searched and on his person, he had over EC$3,000.00 and one ticket confirmation to travel on British Airways to Antigua.

The Labour Spokesman was the only media house to report on this airport incident that same week. Credible information indicated that it happened on Wednesday 18th October.

Attempts to get information from the police were unsuccessful.